CHICAGO, May 20, 2020 /PRNewswire/ --Today, United Airlines is introducing United CleanPlus: the company's commitment to putting health and safety at the forefront of the entire customer experience, with the goal of delivering an industry-leading standard of cleanliness. United CleanPlus brings together a most trusted brand in surface disinfection - Clorox - and the country's top medical experts - Cleveland Clinic - to inform and guide United's new cleaning, safety and social distancing protocols that includes touchless kiosks in select locations for baggage check-in, sneeze guards, mandatory face coverings for crew and customers, and giving customers options when flights are more full. Specifically, Clorox products will be used at United's hub airports and medical experts from the Cleveland Clinic will advise on new technologies, training development and quality assurance programming.
By establishing collaborations with world-renowned leaders in surface disinfection and health like Clorox and Cleveland Clinic, United customers can travel with more confidence knowing that the airline's protocols have been informed by trusted experts.
"Safety has always been our top priority, and right now in the midst of an unprecedented crisis, it's our singular customer focus," said United CEO, Scott Kirby, in a video message to customers today. "We recognize that COVID-19 has brought cleanliness and hygiene standards to the front of customers' minds when making travel decisions, and we're not leaving a single stone unturned in our pursuit to better protect our customers and employees."
Clorox is working closely with United to enhance the airline's cleaning program, redefine disinfection procedures and equip customers with amenities at select locations that help support a healthier and safer environment throughout their travel journey. Clorox products will first roll out at United's hub airports in Chicago and Denver and will be used in the gate and terminal areas, with additional locations to follow.
"We're proud Clorox will play a role in United CleanPlus to enhance people's safety when they travel," said Benno Dorer, chair and CEO, The Clorox Company. "Connecting the world more safely, when possible, is an important part of our recovery as a society. Together we are helping people when they travel for work or pleasure. We look forward to working with United to explore more ways to help keep their customers healthy during their travel experience."
The United CleanPlus commitment goes far beyond disinfection. United consulted with experts at Cleveland Clinic to provide guidance on the airline's policies and procedures – from mandatory face coverings, to touchless kiosks in select locations for baggage check-in, to social distancing – and ensure they meet or exceed industry standards. Medical experts from the Cleveland Clinic will also advise on new technologies, training development and quality assurance programming. And, as scientists learn more about how to fight COVID-19, Cleveland Clinic experts will help United use those discoveries to quickly implement new ways to keep customers safe.
"As the public begins to adjust to a world that's been altered by the COVID-19 pandemic, health and safety is of the utmost importance," said Tomislav Mihaljevic, M.D., Cleveland Clinic CEO and President. "We are proud to be part of this program and to share the knowledge we've gained as we've worked to contain and understand COVID-19 over the past several months. It's important for everyone to take precautions as we enter this new phase of COVID-19 response, and Cleveland Clinic is pleased to play a role in helping people travel safely."
The United CleanPlus commitment to customers is already happening throughout the travel journey across the United network in a number of ways. To date, United has implemented more than a dozen new policies and procedures aligned with United CleanPlus that are designed with health and safety in mind, including:
In Airport Lobbies:
- Reducing touchpoints by temporarily shutting down self-service kiosks and beginning to roll out, in select locations, touchless kiosks that allow customers to print bag tags using their own device to scan a QR code.
- Actively promoting social distancing with enhanced signage, including a 6 ft. rule at the ticket counters which allows for minimal contact between agents and customers.
- Deploying sneeze guards at key interaction points, including at our check-in counters.
At the Gate:
- Boarding fewer customers at a time to allow for more distance during the boarding process, minimizing crowding at the gate and jet bridge.
- Asking our customers to self-scan their boarding passes at our gate readers.
- Equipping our employees with disinfecting products available so they can disinfect high-touch areas including armrests and handrails.
In the United Clubs:
- Protective sneeze guards installed at our credentialing desks and customer services minimizing contact between our guests and team members
- Enhanced team member safety and well-being by requiring the use of personal protective equipment
- Increased the frequency of cleaning our high-touch surfaces and equipping our team members with disinfectant cleaning products
- Removed seating at the bar area to actively promote physical distancing
- Pre-packaged food and beverages are only available at the bar area to reduce customer touch points
- Beginning May 22, United will introduce an "all in one" economy snack bag that replaces the economy beverage and complimentary snack choice service on domestic flights scheduled 2 hours and 20 minutes or more. This bag will include a wrapped sanitizer wipe, an 8.5 oz. bottled water, a Stroopwafel and a package of pretzels
- Enhancing cabin sanitization including electrostatic spraying, which will happen before every flight starting this June.
- Requiring all employees and customers on board to wear a mask or face covering, helping protect each other.
- Supplying individually wrapped hand sanitizer wipes to customers as they board.
- Limiting advance seat selections where possible and allowing customers to take alternative flights when we expect a flight to operate over 70% capacity.
Behind the Scenes:
- Implementing employee temperature checks before the start of their workday, better safeguarding their health as well as their teammates' and customers'.
- Employees are producing hand sanitizer that is being used throughout the airline.
For more information on United CleanPlus visit United.com/CleanPlus.
United's shared purpose is "Connecting People. Uniting the World." For more information, visit united.com, follow @United on Twitter and Instagram or connect on Facebook. The common stock of United's parent, United Airlines Holdings, Inc., is traded on the Nasdaq under the symbol "UAL".
About The Clorox Company
The Clorox Company (NYSE: CLX) is a leading multinational manufacturer and marketer of consumer and professional products with approximately 8,800 employees worldwide and fiscal year 2019 sales of $6.2 billion. Clorox markets some of the most trusted and recognized consumer brand names, including its namesake bleach and cleaning products; Pine-Sol® cleaners; Liquid-Plumr® clog removers; Poett® home care products; Fresh Step® cat litter; Glad® bags, wraps and containers; Kingsford® charcoal; Hidden Valley® dressings and sauces; Brita® water-filtration products; Burt's Bees® natural personal care products; RenewLife® digestive health products; and Rainbow Light®, Natural Vitality™ and NeoCell® dietary supplements. The company also markets industry-leading products and technologies for professional customers, including those sold under the CloroxPro™ and Clorox Healthcare® brand names. Nearly 80% of the company's sales are generated from brands that hold the No. 1 or No. 2 market share positions in their categories.
Clorox is a signatory of the United Nations Global Compact and the Ellen MacArthur Foundation's New Plastics Economy Global Commitment. The company has been broadly recognized for its corporate responsibility efforts, included on CR Magazine's 2019 100 Best Corporate Citizens list, Barron's 2020 100 Most Sustainable Companies, the Human Rights Campaign's 2020 Corporate Equality Index and the 2019 Bloomberg Gender Equality Index, among others. In support of its communities, The Clorox Company and its foundations contributed about $12 million in combined cash grants, product donations and cause marketing in fiscal year 2019. For more information, visit TheCloroxCompany.com, including the Good Growth blog, and follow the company on Twitter at @CloroxCo.
About Cleveland Clinic
Cleveland Clinic is a nonprofit multispecialty academic medical center that integrates clinical and hospital care with research and education. Located in Cleveland, Ohio, it was founded in 1921 by four renowned physicians with a vision of providing outstanding patient care based upon the principles of cooperation, compassion and innovation. Cleveland Clinic has pioneered many medical breakthroughs, including coronary artery bypass surgery and the first face transplant in the United States. U.S. News & World Report consistently names Cleveland Clinic as one of the nation's best hospitals in its annual "America's Best Hospitals" survey. Among Cleveland Clinic's 67,554 employees worldwide are more than 4,520 salaried physicians and researchers, and 17,000 registered nurses and advanced practice providers, representing 140 medical specialties and subspecialties. Cleveland Clinic is a 6,026-bed health system that includes a 165-acre main campus near downtown Cleveland, 18 hospitals, more than 220 outpatient facilities, and locations in southeast Florida; Las Vegas, Nevada; Toronto, Canada; Abu Dhabi, UAE; and London, England. In 2019, there were 9.8 million total outpatient visits, 309,000 hospital admissions and observations, and 255,000 surgical cases throughout Cleveland Clinic's health system. Patients came for treatment from every state and 185 countries. Visit us at clevelandclinic.org. Follow us at twitter.com/CCforMedia and twitter.com/ClevelandClinic. News and resources available at newsroom.clevelandclinic.org.
View original content to download multimedia:http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/united-airlines-launches-united-cleanplus-a-new-standard-of-cleanliness-and-safety-in-partnership-with-clorox-and-cleveland-clinic-301062520.html
SOURCE United Airlines
Markets Insider and Business Insider Editorial Teams were not involved in the creation of this post.